The history of the territory of La Sterza is linked to the unknown district of Pava. It mentioned in two documents edit the 1st August 1109 and 21st June 1112 at Volterra. The hamlet in the early medieval passed to Pannocchieschi in 1186.
Here it was situated the church of San Giovanni, it counted five churches under his jurisdiction. The church will be well-known as Pitti’s church by the name of Florentine family, they were owner of the estate. What remains of this hamlet is an ancient farmhouse, today it is the headquarter of a farm and agritourism, whereas the modern hamlet has evolved at the slope in the beginning of XIX century. La Sterza shows up as a modern agricultural hamlet, where there are mainly farm artisan job of the community of Lajatico.