Pontedera rises in Valdarno Inferiore the confluence of the river Era, which divides the town in east and west, in the Arno which is the north border. Another border of the town is the Piana di Pisa in the west, the Piana di Lucca in the north-west, the Cerbaie in the north-east and the Valdera in the south. Even though Pontedera is not geographically in Valdera, but at the east border of the piana di Pisa, it is traditionally considered as the main center of it. Art Installations Several years ago the local administration started putting monuments or temporary installations of various artists in different areas of the city:
- – “Oleandra” by Arturo Carmassi, in the roundabout between viale Europa and Via De Gasperi;
- – “Ragazza in piedi” by Giuliano Vangi, in piazza Cavour;
- – “Collezione sedili di autore” by Joe Tilson, Cordelia von den Steinen, Girolamo Ciulla, Pietro Cascella, Nado Canuti, Giò Pomodoro, Jean Paul Philippe, Rinaldo Bigi, Marcello Aitiani, Mirella Forlivesi, Yasuda Kan, Viliano Tarabella, Daniel Couvreur, Venturino Venturi, Mauro Berrettini, Daniel Milhaud e Manuele Giannetti, in piazza Garibaldi;
- – “Colomba per la pace” by Nado Canuti, in piazza Garibaldi;
- – “Toro” by Pietro Cascella, in piazza Curtatone. It is a white marble statue, with the basement in earthenware and travertine. On either side of the base there are two styled benches, always by the same author. The work looks just sketched, as giving the idea of “unfinished” and represent a bull with a huge boulder parallelepiped on the back, symbol of work, even if only in its aspect of tiring yoke.
- – “Origine Vespa” by Mino Trafeli, in piazza Unità d’Italia;
- – “Muro di Pontedera” by Enrico Baj, along the viale Risorgimento. It is one of the greatest mosaics in Italy, 100m long and 3m high. Designed in 2003, it was made then in 2006;
- – “Porta del sole” by Yasuda Kan, in the roundabout between the Tosco Romagnola Road, via della Costituzione e via Pacinotti;
WHAT TO SEE
WHERE TO EAT
HOW TO GET THERE
From Pisa By Plane: Aeroporto Galilei (Pisa). By Car: SGC FI-PI-LI towards Firenze, exit Pontedera
From Firenze By Plane: Aeroporto Peretola (Firenze) By Car: SGC FI-PI-LI towards Pisa, exit Pontedera
From Livorno port By Car: SGC FI-PI-LI towards Firenze,exit Pontedera.By Train: Train Station Pontedera-Casciana T.